Following a long history along the Rappahannock River in downtown Fredericksburg, Prince Hall Lodge 61 of the Masons is now comfortably moved into its new home on Shannon Park Drive in Spotsylvania County.
The lodge was chartered on Nov. 6, 1891, and is named for Prince Hall, who is widely considered to be the father of African–American Freemasonry in the United States.
According to the lodge’s website, there have been 45 worshipful masters to date, and lodge membership consists of approximately 70 members from all walks of life—ministers, doctors teachers, politicians, tradesmen, military, government employees (federal, local, and state) and more.
The former lodge hall at 609 Sophia St. was built in 1921.
It served as the home for the lodge for decades, until in the late 1980s and early 1990s the Masons began to discuss selling the site and relocating.
Talks grew serious in 2010, and in 2011 the lodge sold the property to the city of Fredericksburg, which subsequently decided to use the property for the new Riverfront Park. The lodge then moved to a temporary site on Princess Anne Street. The lodge bought two lots on Shannon Park Drive early in 2012 and then secured a general contractor to build a new building. After construction was finished, the lodge held its dedication and ribbon cutting last November.